Tuesday 19 August 2014

Camera mount on a vvt track car

I purchased a GoPro 3+ black edition. This went fine until I tried to mount the GoPro on the rear roll over bar. This is the location to put a camera which helps tell you most about your driving skills or otherwise. The roll over bar is just above head height.

When I mounted the camera there for the first time the internal clock got scrambled and the MP4 files were corrupted. Any  images that were produced where very shaky esp about the resonance point of the Sylva vvt engine at 2500rpm. This is a well known problem of the Ford Sigma vvt when fitted with a fast road cam.


I purchased a helicopter GoPro camera mount kit (from the model aircraft industry) via flea bay. I modified it based on experience and if the truth be told without a resonance analyser and knowledge of such I wish not to comment further about the design. I added further damping to remove a resonance of the mount about 2Hz. I also added springs to get more range out of the suspension.

The roll bar part of the mount was fabricated out of motorbike fork mounts for fog lights, indicators etc.

The mount is basically two cross shaped pieces of flat plastic with air filled rubber mounts. I added the springs to preload the rubber and the foam in the middle to damp it down a bit.



Examples

Here is an example of the final design

http://youtu.be/ZGD5Sug_OyQ

Here is an example of the part developed design without springs and dampers.

http://youtu.be/gkc5I6ia20I





No comments:

Post a Comment